top of page

Need Help Paying for Child Care?

There are a few programs dedicated to helping families pay for child care and/or early education.

There are some suggestions below:

(1) Start with Your Child Care Provider

Your child care provider may offer scholarships, financial aid or a multi-child discount.

Your child care provider may offer a sliding fee scale in which you pay based on your income.

Your provider may offer a discount if you pay in advance of when tuition is due.

(2)  Federal Tax Credits

The Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit is designed to offset some of the child and dependent child care costs you pay in order to work.   

The Child Tax Credit is designed to help families offset some of the cost of raising children. Even families who owe little or no income tax can receive at least some of this credit as a refund.

The Earned Income Tax Credit is designed to boost the wages of eligible families (married couples earning less than $51,567 or singles earning less than $46,227 in 2013). 

For more information, visit or call 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676), Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.

(3)  NACCRRA Military Fee Assistance Program

The National Child Care Resource and Referral Agency (NACCRRA) has a program called Military Fee Assistance in which the goal is to help military personnel and their families pay for child care expenses. Fee assistance will vary depending on branch of service. Information regarding this program can be found at or call 1-800-424-2246. A completed subsidy application is required. You can find the application at the website above.

(4)  Subsidized Child Care

Subsidized child care is a co-pay type program with a parental fee based on the family size and monthly gross income. After approval of services the parent or responsible adult will receive a voucher to take to the licensed child care program of their choice to help pay for regular child care expenses.

The voucher is a binding agreement between the parent/responsible adult, the child care provider, and the licensing purchasing agent (Moore County Department of Social Services), which is required to be in place before child care services can begin.


Documents you need to take with you when applying for child care assistance.

If employed:

  • Pay stubs/income proof from employment, self-employment, child support, veterans benefits, GI Bill

  • Work schedule from employer that includes date employment began, pay cycle, rate of pay, hours per week worked

If in training/education:

  • Proof of wages, child support, etc.

  • Proof of school enrollment and school schedule

  • Proof of school grades showing satisfactory performance

If a teen parent:

  • Proof of school enrollment in high school, GED, or equivalent

  • Proof of any income such as wages, child support, social security, veterans benefits, etc.


For more information, contact Moore County Department of Social Services at 910-947-2436 or visit

(5)  Head Start

A free preschool program for 3 and 4 year olds who qualify based on family income guidelines and/or developmental needs.


For more information, contact the site nearest to you:

Aberdeen: 910-944-0457

Southern Pines: 910-692-4855

Taylortown: 910-295-5437

Vass: 910-245-3883

​(6) NC PreK

A free preschool program for at-risk 4 year olds. The program runs throughout the school year and is administered by Moore County Schools. For an application and more information, click here.

(7) Child Care Aware's ® Child Care Options Calculator

The Child Care Options Calculator allows you to examine your financial situation both with and without the cost of child care. Factors such as the cost of child care, work-related expenses, monthly bills and savings or retirement contributions are all included in the calculator. You will be able to get an idea about your monthly budget and how child care will impact that budget.

bottom of page