The North Carolina Division of Child Development and Early Education (DCDEE) has provided monthly operational grants to open child care providers the months of April - July. These grants helped providers with monthly fixed operating costs during the COVID-19 crisis.
As outlined in Session Law 2020-97, DCDEE will provide $35 million in operational grants to licensed, private child care facilities that are open or have reopened for in-person programming. Per legislation, DCDEE is using the same formula which has previously been used. Based on that methodology and historical costs of the operation grants provided, funding will be awarded over the next three months according to the following design:
- August, the provider will receive 75% of the amount received in previous months.
- Awarded in mid-October
- September, the provider will receive 50% of the amount received in previous months.
- Awarded in mid-November
- October, the provider will receive 25% of the amount received in previous months.
- Awarded in mid-December
Who will receive operational grants?
- Private child care programs open for all or part of the grant award month
- Programs that have completed reopening documents
- Reopening Application
- COVID-19 Child Care Provider Survey
How much will child care facilities receive from the operational grants?
- The same formula as previous months will be used to determine grant amount
- Final awards will be based on:
- Days open (prorated for programs reopening)
- Total number of children served in February 2020
- Star rating
- Infant and toddler enrollment
- Serving subsidy children*
- Subsidy density*
*Because subsidy stabilization ends in August, these two factors will only be calculated for the August grant award and will be eliminated for the September and October awards.
To find out the amount of the operational grant awarded to your facility, call or email. Please have the facility name and license number available:
- Alamance through Forsyth Counties, contact Arlette Lambert at 919.703.5262.
- Franklin through Orange Counties, contact Laura Hewitt at 919.703.7916.
- Pamlico through Yancey Counties, contact Theresa Rodersheimer at 919.703.6947.